Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Florida Carriage Museum: Day Two (Long)

This post will be much like the last about the carriage museum, so there are going to be a lot of pictures.

Photo credit to my mom. This is a pair that, I believe, is being trained for competition. MAYBE.

I went for a lesson and finessed my ability to drive a single. Tomorrow I will drive a pair, which should be interesting. I had a bit of trouble remembering how to harness today, but it wasn't that bad and I should remember it in future.

Harnessing Tonto. Photo credit to my mom.

The lesson was really fun, and I got to deal with Tonto being a bit of a spaz. Not difficult, but at least I know I did it right... Oh right, we used Tonto again. What's amazing is that he's very down-to-earth and really knows his job, and he's only eight. I know lots of horses are like that, but the sabino mare above  is a lot more brainless than he is. (She is stunning, though. Both of the chestnuts above are Dutch Harness Horses and gorgeous.)

Coming back to the barn. Photo cred. to my mom.

Afterward I walked around to property and took pictures of the horses again. It was really hot and many of them were in the shade--thankfully. I had no water and may have been dehydrated. I certainly didn't feel great after, but the horses were absolutely worth it.

The first ones I came upon were a Haflinger and their old A-show pony.

Haflinger

Show pony (now retired)

Next was a big warmblood gelding all by himself. 

Prettyful!

I think he might have been sad because I didn't pet him. I feel bad about it too--his nose looks very soft. 

I <3 this horse...

You know whose butt that is, don't you?

Well hello there.

Oh yes. He was back in his pasture and at least 100 of the 300 pictures on my SD card from today are of him. He's just so gorgeous! I may have to make a separate gallery on this blog just devoted to him (or maybe just to beautiful piebalds). Agreed? Agreed.



Nom nom

Can you tell that I'm obsessed with this horse? You would be too if you had seen him. 

The next horse I saw was a Quarter Horse. I think it was a he, and boy! he was bulky.


Then there was another Gypsy Vanner stallion. He didn't look quite as noble or dignified as the first, but he was really friendly and walked right over.


Next up was a pair of gorgeous Friesian geldings. They were both friendly and really fun to take pictures of.


The next two pasture contained one chestnut pony each. The first was right across from the geldings above and was maybe the sweetest pony I've ever met. I wanted to stay and pet him longer. The pony in the next pasture was a pill, though. I would have petted him if I could, but he didn't want me to so I let him be.

Sweet pony!

Grumpy Pony
I don't have much time so I'm just going to put up the best of the remaining pictures for your enjoyment.

Dutch Harness Horse gelding and Some Other Breed gelding

Supposedly a Vanner with shaved fetlocks and pulled mane..?


Tonto!



Vanner mare

And finally--I couldn't resist stopping by this pasture. You can see just how tiny the (maybe) Falabella is compared to her loyal guard donkey.

<333

No comments:

Post a Comment