Sunday, August 21, 2011

Summer Circuit Show Part Two

Does anyone else agree that I'm terrible at posting show reports? This post will cover the entire show, not including the warm-up day which I have already described/

The first day of the show was great. Jones and I did Limit and Modified, both of which were in the outdoor arena, as well as doing a warm-up round in the indoor arena. The rides were okay at best, which was fine with me because my preferred event is actually Youth/Non-Pro in the indoor and that wasn't until the second and third days--I figured that we would be fully warmed up and ready the next day. Jones listened very well during those three rides, but we didn't place. I forgot why that was in the Limit round, but I really screwed up in the Modified round. This was because someone had parked themselves in front of the course sheet, so my trainer had to tell me what the course was. And then I misunderstood her, and did the first two jumps backwards. Now, I still did a perfectly plausible course, but obviously I was disqualified. We did get to finish the round though, thanks to the wonderful judge.

My favorite pictures from the first day of showing:

Mandy (my catch ride) and Ali

Rocket horse!

The second day started off less well. Jones had had a touch of colic during the night and was very agitated that morning. Before I got there, he was already on his way to the vet clinic. You may ask why he was sent off so quickly, and that is because he colics easily. Lucky for us, it was very minor and he just had some slight blockage. Still, he was out of it for the rest of the show. As long as he was fine, I was happy, but some of the kind members of the barn offered me their mare, Mandy, to catch ride. I took her in Modified and Youth/Non-Pro on Saturday. We did not pin in Y/NP, but we did get third in a large Modified class. That was a very pleasant surprise. 
Some of my favorite shots from day two of showing:


This photo brought to you in part by Purina...

On the third day, I went with one of the women at the barn to see Jones at the vet clinic. He was perfectly fine, if a bit annoyed that he wasn't getting any food. He kept trying to push past Amy and out the stall door. In fact, one of the pictures I took of him looks like a mug shot.

After seeing Jones we went to the barn to visit Amy's two mares, Isabelle and Gabby. Then it was back to the show. After waiting around for a while, I took Mandy in Youth/Non-Pro. We had an amazing round, but even I didn't expect to place in second like we did. That's a big class! Of course, I was thrilled. Mandy was great, and it was a lot of fun to ride her. It was my third time on her, so in my opinion we did pretty well.

Not posting pictures from the third day. It's too late at night.


  1. What kind of camera are you using? Your pictures look very nice!
    I wish in the two pictures of the little kids on the ponies they had the bight of the rein under it, but that's just one of my annoyances... it's a very small detail that drives me crazy... Congrats on the placings!

  2. Thanks! I use a Canon Rebel T2i and my dad's Tamron 70-300 lens (not sure which model it is exactly, kind of oldish).

    Yeah, I was always taught to have the extra rein under and to the right, but I guess when you're in a class you don't pay as much attention to detail... at least when you're a kid... I dunno. But I agree.